The SMSANZ Sign Language Programme is the first initiative of its kind in SMSANZ’s slate of projects. This event was started due to the lack of Sign Language awareness in the medical community and the high demand that members have towards learning Sign Language. This would better equip medical students with the necessary skills to communicate with patients, especially towards the hard of hearing. Medical students would thus have the confidence and know-how on how to approach and treat a person who is hard of hearing, providing a higher level of quality care.
The aims of the programme are:
- To provide our members with an opportunity to learn Basic Sign Language (BSL)
- To increase the awareness of the deaf community and sign language amongst medical professionals .
- To allow our members to learn how to properly approach and treat patients who are hard of hearing.
Hello Participants! Here’s everything you need to know about the programme and how to register! Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries
Eligibility Criteria for Participation
- Genuinely Interested in understanding more about Basic Sign Language
- Willing to actively learn about the deaf community and the importance of sign language amongst medical professionals
How to register?
- Meet the eligibility criteria
- Complete the Google Form: https://forms.gle/KuEanqqdHabKtNRc9
- Registration Period: 15th August – 12th September
Date and Time of Sign Language Programme
|Lesson No.||1st Lesson||2nd Lesson|
|Date||2nd of October||3rd of October|
|Time||11am – 1230pm (SGT)||9am – 1030am (SGT)|
|Lesson Content||Deaf awareness, alphabets sign language and commonly-used words||Simple medical terms and greetings/phrases|
Day 1: 2nd October 2021
|1100||Introduction + Attendance taking|
|1110||Handover to trainers|
|1125||Alphabets in sign language|
|1200||Practice + Commonly used words|
|1230||End of Session|
Day 2: 3rd October 2021
|0900||Introduction + Attendance taking|
|0910||Handover to trainers + Recap|
|0915||Learning simple medical terms|
|1025||Debrief, Q&A, Feedback|
|1030||End of Session|